Pages

Sunday, August 24, 2014

Letter Number 55..

I exchange letter with Jake's companion's Mother....a little detail that Jake left out was that they were mugged this week.  Jake failed to mention this little detail to me. In all fairness, he previously mentioned that serving in Martinique there was a strong possibility of being Mugged.  In light of the death of three LDS Missionaries this week,  I should feel terrified, however, I read the account and felt peace and gratitude for the protection from the Lord of my Son and his companion.  Obviously Jake was more impressed with the Plantain party and the work he is doing.  I choose to focus on the highs as well.  I re-visited the calm peaceful feelings I had as we dropped him off at the Mission Training Center in Provo.  I was overcome with the most beautiful, peaceful, loving assurance that Jake was in the right place and that he would be fine.  He is right where His Father and I want him at this time in his life.  What an adventure he is having.  

The Missionaries around the world are amazing in their dedication and sacrifice...all from kids who are 18-26 years of age.  Today I am grateful for their example to me.  They love the Lord more than themselves!


I think since I have been on foot I have had a slight increase in appetite. Also I am pretty sure I drink between 3 and 6 liters of water a day..... maybe more! 


This week was awesome, we have been really working on our diligence in working, using time effectively to show our Heavenly Father our love for him. We have experianced some great results.  Usually it is really hard to find male investigators but recently all we have found is men who are willing to read the Book of Mormon and meet with us.  One of our members,  FL, he is really helping us by giving us lots of referrals.  He is from Haiti and if you are from Haiti you are a cousin to all other Haitians.  I think it is why the church is so large over there.  For example we are meeting with one family that he gave us who are waiting to be leagal so that they can be married so that they can go to the temple to be sealed.  It may take a few years to do the legalization's but in the end I have a firm hope that they can do it:) 

They are sweet investigators, because they integrate themselves.  On Saturday they invited us and a couple of brothers over to their house to eat banana paisé which is the best thing ever, ill explain in a second. But they told us to invite some other brothers also, so we invited another family from the branch and they came and we had a good time together.  When we arrived the computer had the french channel for "Mormon Messages on a playlist and we watched them as we ate.  Now to explain the meal.  So you take a plantain, and you cut it kind of diagonally and soak it in salt water.  Next you fry it, then you smash it, then you fry it againn, then you eat it.  But that isnt the best part,  the best part is the pickles.  They take cabbage and onion and garlic and sometimes other stuff and chop it up and mix it together.  Thennnnn they put tons of lime juice in it.  Then you put that on top of the banana chip and you eat it..... and you are edified. 

I have a strong testimony of pondering.  Being on foot there is a lot of travel time and I have found as I search to expound the scriptures I find hidden truths that I have never noticed before. I often think of the example of Nephi and how he said that his heart constantly pondered the scriptures and the things he had seen and heard. He must of been so close to the Lord, and brought closer to the Lord through this process. I feel like I have been brought closer to the Lord as I treasure up his word, and the doctrine of the priesthood distills upon my soul. 

I love you all,

Elder Lewis

This picture is of a kinet, my dad on his mission in Puerto Rico called them snot balls, you take it out and suck on the delicious fruit that surrounds the seed:) 
Just Chill'n



Jake's "King of the World" reenactment I guess!


No comments:

Post a Comment